Re: [RC] [RC] RC RC USEF Approve New Drug - Maryanne Gabbani

All of this is what happens when sport turns into business.  All of us have given a whoop and raced our horses against a friend however briefly. When there's nothing to gain but the satisfaction of besting a buddy, you think hard about ruining a horse. But when you can become rich and famous, the horse has less to offer in argument. It becomes the necessary tool to achieve a goal and as such can be propped up in lots of ways.  It's VERY important to remember what an amateur is...someone who does something because he/she loves it. They are getting to be fewer and fewer in number.  I'm betraying my age by noting that I remember when anyone competing in the Olympics had to be competing without renumeration...ie, an amateur. That went out the window years ago and the Olympics are professional sport now. When or if endurance ever gets to the Olympics, it will be as a professional sport as well. Pretty soon no one will ever know what an amateur sport is anymore.

Maryanne