Re: [RC] [RC] brio & CRI - Mel Cochran

I can only speak from my very limited experience with my young Paso Fino mare. We only have 2 LDs under our belt. I don't want to push it with her since she is young. She is almost 5, she has done 2 LDs as a 4 year old and may have 3 under her belt before she turns 5. We have been taking our time and poking along and she has done well. She has a very businesslike attitude toward things and looks to me for support (I know, sounds crazy). We make a good team. She will get wound up at the beginning of the ride and want to go, especially if she is with other horses that are used to going. Once we get away from the pack, she settles and is fine. She does not have a problem cooling or pulsing down but that is probably because of our slow pace and me leading her in the last 1/2 mile to the vet check instead of riding. During the ride, she will tell me when she is tired and I will let her slow down and rest for a bit. Her body language clearly says "time for a little break." After slowing for a bit, she will gather herself, pick her head up and tell me that it is time to go again.

She is not a former "jacked up" show horse so that probably helps. I have had ex show horses and many of them can learn to relax and enjoy the ride, it just takes time and patience. She does have the brio, but it is what is natural to the breed and not the man-made version. It is not so much the "crazy spiritedness" that most people think it it. It is her bright, inquisitive nature that gives her that extra spark of intelligence and heart. She can sense when it is time to turn on the fire and give it that extra oompf. She also knows when I need for her to relax and enjoy the scenery. In my mind, a paso fino is like an arabian. If you take the time and patience needed to build a partnership, you will have a wonderful companion that is uniquely tuned in to you. I have spent the last year concentrating all of my extra time and resources on this mare and it really has paid off for me.

That is my 2 cents for what it is worth. ;-)

Mel Cochran

http://liveearth.msn.com