[RC] You have no clue....and neither do (or can) I - k s swigart

Jamie Ward said:

we would lose what I love about going to nature
going out their and not seeing any signs of man.being
able to know what it felt like to live 200 years ago
before all our technology.

There is no way that anybody in America today could have any clue as to
what it felt like to live 200 years ago.  There is nothing that anybody
can do, even going for a ride in the woods away from all the signs of
civilizatin (which, BTW is older than 200 years), which can erase the
knowledge that modern technology is but a stone's throw away.

Just knowing it exists is enough to make it so you cannot escape its
effects on your "feelings."

Doing the NM Renegade Ride back in 1999 along the Mexican Border where
for much of the ride we rode from cavalry water stop to cavalry water
stop (along with windmills pulling the water out of the ground into
tanks), gave me an inkling (i.e. a small trace) of what it might have
been like to have traversed that country 150 years ago, but it was just
an inkling.  What doing it really made me realize, however, is just how
little I could ever begin to understand what it might have been like to
have traversed that country 150 years ago.  Even though many of the
trails were the same and many of the water troughs and windmills were
too, the extent of the desolation and solitude simply no longer exist.

I knew that there was food and water for my horse at preplanned places,
people waiting for me to show up at them, paved roads, and a horse
trailer to "rescue" me with very little effort, modern science, modern
medicine and modern technology available with easy accessiblity if I
decided I didn't want to "play" at being a renegade anymore.

And if you know that it is just a game, the feelings can never be the
same as if it were the real thing.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)