[RC] Feeding Corn?? - Barbara Reeves

I've been reading the digests and all of the huff about corn prices
with some amusement, but I have to ask, why are you feeding your horse
corn or corn-based grains/pellets?  Corn is not good for horses.  It
can cause metabolic changes, poor behavior, and founder.  There are
many better feed items for horses than corn, namely HAY.

We feed our horses a forrage based diet and they are doing better than
they ever have!  They look better, act better (not so spooky), my
mare's heats are barely noticable, their work ethic is improved,
recovery times are better, and their weight has stabalized (mare was
too fat, gelding was too skinny).  Plus, we are saving a TON Of money!
No more expensive grains or supplements, just good hay a mineral salt
block.  They are currently getting quality bermuda hay, alfalfa
pellets, and stabalized rice bran.  On heavy work days they get some
plain whole oats.

Our whole boarding stable is on this forrage based diet and they all
look great.  I am 100% sold on a more natural diet.  I won't ever go
back to commercially prepared sweet feeds or pellets again!

~Barbara

http://EquineFriends.com
http://AreteSaddlery.com
http://2HotToTrot.com

 "To be an equestrian in the classical sense is not just to be a rider. It is
a position in life."
--Charles de Kunffy

 Learn more about the fight against Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption in
the USA.
http://www.StopHorseSlaughter.com
The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be
indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
-George Bernard Shaw