[RC] - Smith, Dave

After all the heavy messages on Ridecamp of late, I thought you might enjoy the following news story I clipped and am sending to my Air Force  son in Texas who is in his second month of jet pilot training:

Air Force Life Support NCO Saves Life of Air Force Fighter Pilot during Horse-Back Riding Mishap

Phoenix, AZ, May 25, 2007

An Air Force Fighter Pilot with the 309th Fighter Squadron narrowly escaped serious injury recently when he attempted horseback riding with no prior experience.  He mounted the horse, unassisted, and the horse immediately began moving.  As it galloped along at a steady and rhythmic pace, the pilot began to slip sideways from the saddle.  Although attempting to grab for the horse's mane he could not get a firm grip.

He then threw his arms around the horse's neck but continued to slide down the side of the horse.

The horse galloped along, seemingly oblivious to its slipping rider.

Finally, losing his grip, the Captain attempted to leap away from the horse and throw himself to safety.  His foot became entangled in the stirrup, and he was at the mercy of the horse's pounding hooves, as his head and  upper body repeatedly struck the ground.  Moments away from unconsciousness and being trampled or beaten to death, to his great fortune an Air Force Life Support NCO shopping at Wal-Mart saw him and quickly unplugged the horse.