[RC] [RC] How tree hugging hurts the environment - Maureen A. Fager

Kathy said * you watching the Tahoe fire?*

Watching it? Hell, I'm breathing it! I read an article today about how SLT have been working on defensible space. Last year the TRPA tagged trees in people's yards and other areas for removal. However, it seems not everyone could afford to remove them.

According to the article I read, if one is on the Nevada side the state of NV could help with removal costs but , if one is on the Calif side, the state of CA had no money to help with removal. I read this it the Tahoe Daily Tribune on line.

I lived in SLT for 9 years. One house I lived in had 20 pine trees in the back yard. I could rake up all the pine needles I wanted if I so desired to.

When I lived at the lake I noticed that many of the houses and other building looked they were built years ago without adequate building codes. Lots of fire traps then, and lots of fire traps now I would suspect. There are a lot rentals there as the summer season draws alot of seasonal workers. I left in '86 and never, ever heard the phrase "defesible space" until a few years ago here in Reno. The fire in Tahoe has a number of causes--very dry, hot weather, old buildings, a town built in a forest, heck SLT doesn't even have sidewalks for crying out loud! To place blame on "psuedo-environmentasitis" (whatever those are) makes no sense.

I'd like to suggest you condsider putting some of that energy into finding out how you might donate food and other items to the fire victums. There are lots of displaced pets that need food amd foster homes. Real help, not overblown retoric is needed.

Cheers,
Maureen
My motto: No bones to fix in '07 either!
"...we are pilgrims together, wending our way through an unknown country; home." Fra Giovanni

Don?t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/