Re: [RC] [RC] How tree hugging hurts the environment - Truman Prevatt

Yes building codes are probably one of the issues. I heard the term "defensible space" when I moved to Florida in 1985. The fire department would run stories in the local newspapers on how to make your home defensible for the fire fighters. The state forest here burn off most of the forest completely every three years. That keeps down the understory and allows the forest to thrive and provides a friendly habitat for the animals.

While there might be a lot of complaining about the ash from the controlled burns in the spring and some counties have even tried to pass laws against the burns - it gets ash in our swimming pools - state law gives the Fl DOF absolute authority on forest management.

I think the recent trend of people building close to or on private plots inside public lands that are prone to wild fire has reached a point that it is now causing significant issues. There was an article in one newspaper I was reading not long ago about the insurance companies taking a long hard look about fire risk and if such structures would be insurable. I suspect in the near future the situation will be similar to insurance - if you live in a low lying area that is hurricane prone you can't get commercial home owners insurance - in Florida and some other areas on the East coast. You have to buy into the state run insurance fund (set up after Andrew when a bunch of policies were canceled and people could not get insurance).

After the mass cancellations of insurance after Andrew, people who had paid 500 bucks for insurance prior had to pay 12,000 a year for the state run fund. It was either that or no insurance. I would not be surprised to see similar things happening with respect to houses in wild fire prone areas.

Truman

Maureen A. Fager wrote:

When I lived at the lake I noticed that many of the houses and other building looked they were built years ago without adequate building codes. Lots of fire traps then, and lots of fire traps now I would suspect. There are a lot rentals there as the summer season draws alot of seasonal workers. I left in '86 and never, ever heard the phrase "defesible space" until a few years ago here in Reno. The fire in Tahoe has a number of causes--very dry, hot weather, old buildings, a town built in a forest, heck SLT doesn't even have sidewalks for crying out loud! To place blame on "psuedo-environmentasitis" (whatever those are) makes no sense.

I'd like to suggest you condsider putting some of that energy into finding out how you might donate food and other items to the fire victums. There are lots of displaced pets that need food amd foster homes. Real help, not overblown retoric is needed.

Cheers,
Maureen
My motto: No bones to fix in '07 either!
"...we are pilgrims together, wending our way through an unknown country; home." Fra Giovanni

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics