[RC] Hauling other People's Horses - k s swigart

Sandy said:

In addition, I had one horse kick my trailer almost
to pieces a few years back and while the owner
SHOULD have paid to have it put back the way
it was, they ended up only doing a little minor pounding
it back in to place kind of thing - and I will never haul
them again for love or money.

Having hauled my own and other people's horses and having loaned out my
trailer to other people to use, I must confess that fixing dings from a
horse kicking in a trailer would be really low on my list of priorities
if somebody else's horse did that in my trailer, and if the person who
owned the horse offered to pay to have it fixed I would tell them not to
worry about it, horses kick in trailers all the time, and I have yet to
see one that doesn't have some kick marks in it.

And when one woman I let borrow my trailer misjudged her gate post and
bent the fender, she offered to have body work done on it to fix it, but
I told her not to worry about it, that it could have happened to
anybody, and that it was unlikely to be the last dent in it.  We got out
a crow bar to make sure the tire cleared the fender.  Ten years later it
is still that way, and still just as functional as it always has been
and with a lot more dents in it just because it has been around horses
who are really good at denting things.

For me, if some damage happens to something of mine that I have loaned
out or shared with somebody else, I ask myself the question, "How would
I fix this if it were me or my horse who had done the damage?"  And I
don't let other people fix things that I wouldn't bother to fix myself.

I am curious, how many people would have body work done on their own
trailer if their horse kicked dents in it?

kat
Orange County, Calif.