Re: [RC] "tree hugging" - Joe Long

Let me say right up front that I'm a "tree hugger" and proud of it. I've also been an environmentalist since before the term ever became popular in the mainstream media. I've always loved the outdoors, trees, and forests. But I have a lot of issues with many of the "tree huggers" who call themselves environmentalists while having no clue about the real ecology of the planet, the long-term nature of environmental change, the principles of cost/benefit analysis, and the reality of unintended consequences.

Many so-called environmentalists today -- I call them pseudo-environmentalists -- are political activists with an ideology, and axes to grind, but unfortunately with little true appreciation of nature and how it works. For one thing, we humans are a part of nature, as are our works. Why is a dam built by beavers natural, while a dam built by humans is not?

We stand to lose a lot more than our trails and endurance rides if the "PC" psuedo-environmentalists have their way. The fire currently destroying much of the beauty around Lake Tahoe is only a tiny example (it's been exacerbated by the efforts of the Sierra Club to block thinning the forest). The longer the U.S. is kept overly-dependent on energy sources from politically unstable regions of the world, the greater the chance of a war that could dwarf the World Wars of the last century: and NOTHING destroys the environment more than warfare.

The psuedo-environmentalist only has one answer to any attempt to build new refineries or drill new oil or gas fields: NO. There is never any compromise, any cost/benefit analysis, just NO. Extraction methods have become much more environmentally friendly in recent decades; we could extract the oil from Anwar and the wildlife would hardly notice, but "NO!!" is all you will hear from pseudo-environmentalists. You also hear that, for example, Anwar only as enough oil for x% of our needs; well, hey, no single field has more than a fraction of our needs. It takes a lot of them, but the P-E says "NO!" every time.

Ethanol from corn is a chimera. It takes almost as much energy to produce as it contains, and the total carbon footprint (including the CO2 produced by growing and distilling the stuff) is greater than that of the petroleum it replaces. We're already seeing the side effect of rising food prices, and it's still only in the pilot stage. Not just the price of corn goes up, the price of ALL grains is driven up, and that ripples through most food prices. But the politicians love ethanol, it lets them appear to be "doing something." And the farm-belt politicians love it most of all.

BTW, we could import lots of ethanol from Brazil where their tropical climate allows them to produce it cheaply from sources other than corn, but of course our politicians block that.

I am an environmentalist for more reasons than to preserve our trails and our sport of endurance riding. But if the P-E's have their way, we will lose both -- and a LOT more besides. We all need to get involved and be sure that RATIONAL care for the environment prevails.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx