[RC] Lifetime Membership Dues - Eric Rueter

Two things to note here:

First the $650 is a "for the next twelve months, then the fee goes back up to $1000 in March or April of 2008".
Second AHA dues (the ones that the $650/$1000 replace) are currently $45 a year not $65.

Based on the above if you use the "normal" deal, then a lifetime membership pays in advance for a little more than 22 years.  Therefore to compare "apples to apples" a lifetime membership for AERC would / should cost between $1400-1500.

If you use the "blue-light special" numbers then you are still looking at about a 14 year payout or $900-1000 dollars.

AHA puts the lifetime membership dues in special accounts (forgive me there is a proper accounting name for them but I slept in my own bed last night not an Holiday Inn), and I believe only uses the interest or maybe some portion of the principal for operating funds.  If AERC were to allow / offer a Lifetime membership, they would be wise to do the same.

I really like the idea of Lifetime memberships, one additional thought I would have, is to "prorate" the amount based on number of "consecutive" years already paid.  AERC has many people who would benefit greatly from a lifetime membership, who have already paid way more than what *might* be charged, and do not have the life expectancy left to make the membership feasible.  I am *not* saying that someone who has already paid dues for say 20 years should automatically get a free lifetime membership, but maybe they should only have to pay 50%?

Before any decision is made, there should be a whole lot of numbers "crunched" and many people's opinions given (just like Jan has asked for).  I am sure that other people will have knowledge about the Lifetime memberships from other breed / equestrian organizations.

Eric Rueter
Rueter Consulting, Inc.
Eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
865.988.4134(W)