[RC] re: [RC] stocked up hind legs ????? - Peter Harper

Diana,  I had a 9 month old colt do the same thing two
weeks ago.  Suddenly one morning he was stocked up in
all four legs, especially the hind.  I could feel heat
in his legs and the hind were tender to the touch.  I
couldn't see anything wrong with him except for the
swelling in the legs.  Eating, peeing, pooping and
attitude all fine.

We hosed his legs for about a half hour to bring the
selling down then ran him into the vets.  The vet drew
blood and didn't find anything, white count was
slightly low but within the normal range.  They gave
him a shot of bamamine and steroids and sent us home
with bute, antihistamines, and antibiotics.  By that
evening he was dramatically better.  By the next day
swelling was completely gone.

Since he responded so quickly to the anti-inflammatory
drugs, the vet thinks it was and allergic reaction.
At the time he was out on pasture with two other older
geldings horses.  Both of them have no symptoms.  I've
kept him off pasture for the week and will try turning
him back out today.

BTW, we are in North Texas.  Coincidence?

Pete