[RC] What's in a name (was "Grand Prix") - frank solano

JOHN TEETER wrote:

"I would be only too pleased to have an additional distinction between
endurance riding and endurance racing so that everybody could just
accept that they aren't the same sport...at all...and get on with it."

I agree, John.
When folks say to me that they "did" ____________(fill in the blank) MARATHON, I recognize that they completed.
I then ask how fast they "ran" it and they will typically respond with, "Well, I didn't really RUN it, but I did it and I loved it and it took me
_________________ (so many hours) to walk it".  (Which, to me, is STILL really wonderful.)

Walking and running are two different methods of getting it done.  Yet, "Doing" a marathon carries a certain connotation when one hears that one
"did" one.  When you hear that someone RAN a marathon, you recognize they were RACING.
When you hear that someone DID a marathon, you recognize that is might, in fact, be something different than RACING.
Which is still wonderful.

I don't get why we can't have Endurance RACING and Endurance RIDING.
Have an OPEN division, for which one must "qualify", then have the rest of us in an Endurance Riding division, where one must show up and complete.  (Hmmmm.....I know we've covered this several times over the last few years.)

Frank Solano