RE: [RC] Stupid Questions from a Saddle Buying Virgin - Rebecca Wyatt

Hi!

I own and ride in a Sensation Hybrid treeless saddle. It's definitely a lot more than a glorified bareback pad, and both my horse and I absolutely love it. Endurance riders like them, too, and have tested them on 50s and 100s with great success. If you'd like more info, there are some good photos (one of me, Rebecca, on the "Horses & Riders" page) at:

I also find this saddle to be extremely comfortable and secure (no horn, but there is an "O.S" handle built in). You know those spooks where you don't know it's happened until you're ~10 feet from where you were all of a sudden (I think some people call them 'teleports')? Well, whenever that happens in this saddle, I have found that I don't budge at all!

Beware, though, that there are some really poorly made treeless saddles out there (for example, there's a brand called "Hilason" that produces, in my opinion, cheap ripoffs).

If you'd like to trial a Sensation (and I hope you do!), talk to Kate at the Forest Horse site above. She's extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Also, the makers of the Sensation just recently came out with a western model that I think looks really nice! You can get any of these saddles fully customized as well (colors, leather, etc.) - that's included in the price. For horses with higher withers, the Hybrid or Western models offer more pommel clearance.

As far as pads go, well, I really do recommend a Skito Dryback pad (or something similar such as an Equipedic), because it ensures a good spinal channel and it's truly a horse's - and riders - dream pad. If you do decide to go treeless, work the price of a good treeless pad into your budget ($150-200). And definitely go for the 100% wool bottom, as it will reduce slippage issues.

Besides the Sensation, other treeless saddles that you might want to look at (that do have good reputations) are: Barefoot (check out the Barefoot Arizona), Bob Marshall, and Freeform (has a semi-western model but some people report security issues with them). Only you and your horse will know which one is right for y'all :-)

Sincerely,

Rebecca
--
http://www.ElatedEquine.com