Re: [RC] Accurate Records (was: Pull codes etc.) - k s swigart

Allison said:

I agree with Kat about my record.  The error
rate in my pull codes is 40%.

It is not just the pull codes that are wrong on my record, and I have
not bothered to figure out the error rate (although it is much higher
for the pull codes).

However, I wish to point out that, in my case,
it is not the AERC office that has made the
errors - it they have an error in translation, they
have always fixed it.

And it was not pull codes that years I tried to fix with the AERC office
that they still got wrong.  I have never tried to fix a wrong pull code.
They are all wrong anyway, and not just because of mistakes (although
there are many of those); ride managers, vets, and riders deliberately
introduce errors because of how they think it will "look" and an M or L
pull code IS perceived as a punishment, and will be for as long as you
attach names to them. So as long as you attach names to them you WILL
have ride managers, vets, and riders who falsify the information because
they don't want to administer this punishment.

IF riders bothered to correct their inaccurate pull codes (which even
Heidi, who says she cares about their accuracy and thinks they are
useful, says she doesn't try to), then publishing them with names
attached could be justified.  It is only if people see an inaccurate
code published by their name that they CAN correct it, but since nobody
does, this justification for publishing names is hardly valid.

The AERC will not be able to collect meaningful data with respect to
pulls as long as the data is inaccurate; and the data will remain
inaccurate for as long as it is perceived as a punishment by
participants.  And it will continue to be perceived as a punishment by
participants (and used as a punishment by readers who are
non-participants) as long as it is published with names attached.

kat
Orange County, Calif.