RE: [RC] Santa Fe ride will aerc pull sanction - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS

Title: Message

My ‘experience’ was that I had just done a couple novice ctr’s about the time those horses were rode to death in the ‘hell bent for leather’ and I had to live down amoung a lot of horse folk that I was pro distance riding and liked it.  Had one old horseman accuse me of ‘riding my horse to death’… ( well she’s 28 now.  Ain’t died yet. )  I don’t want to spend the next 20 years having to again explain to those non distance folks that I’m not being mean to my horse because of some stupid ill planned incident like I fear coming.

Kate kearby

From: Bob Morris [mailto:bobmorris@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:11 PM
To: Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Santa Fe ride will aerc pull sanction

The "Voice of Experience"?

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:49 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Santa Fe ride will aerc pull sanction

Seems I’m hearing ugly stories of attemps of ‘non-distance riders’ to complete 50s come heck or hi-water’ to qualify for this ride.  This again giving endurance a bad name… double the usual number of 50 riders most having never done any distance before, not even ready for the 25s and arguing with the vets to continue when their horse shouldn’t..  seems to me a ride in oklahoma about 20 years ago was once sanctioned by aerc, when aerc found out some issues with the ride they pulled sanction, the ‘run for the money’ boys still rode and the first of 12 horses dropped dead at 9 miles.  How do you / we fix it and take care of the horses?  How do we keep a endurance and distance riding a clean sport before the horses get hurt?

Kate kearby