FW: [RC] [RC] May 2007 Veterinary newsletter - Jim Holland

Horse Welfare is one of the reasons I am opposed to these codes.? They
?encourage? riders NOT to pull their horse, because of that little ?stigma?
of having ?lame? or ?metabolic? attached to the pull?AND discourage
?negotiation? between the vet and the rider to get an early out because of
potential problems.? Vets do it anyway, and BECAUSE of this, the data you
collect from these codes is compromised, improperly recorded, and basically
useless.? The only thing worse than no data, is invalid data.? Human nature
is what it is, and no amount of ?explanation? is going to change the misuse
of these codes.

Personally, I don?t care one road apple what code is recorded. When I
decide, or decide in consultation with the vet that there is a hint of a
problem, I?m done for the day, but I have watched it happen too many times
working a ride and seen it in print on this forum enough to know that most
riders don?t feel that way.? Joan works as a scribe when she has a
chance?.and she would also tell you that this is a significant issue with
riders.

It?s ironic that AERC won?t publish Vet Committee Reports on horse deaths to
?protect the confidentiality of the rider?, but WILL publish pull codes,
which could potentially CAUSE some of those deaths.? If you want more
accurate pull codes, record them, but don?t publish them. ?It serves no
useful purpose, since AERC doesn?t use them anyway.? We haven?t passed one
single new rule to protect the horse since we started recording fatalities,
so I why does it matter what we record?

JMHO?

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland