[RC] Got a Monkey on my Back - rides2far

I keep thinking of bits of the weekend that I have not adequately
reported and this is one of them. I've got a monkey on my back. It was
put there by Stagg Newman. (thanks Stagg). He said (before he announced
*who* was the proud recipient) that the person who received it had to
discuss it in written form and in public speaking engagements for the
next year, so here goes.

I am not at all sure that I have the history of the monkey straight. I
*think* the story went that one fellow had completed the OD 9 times. but
when he started his quest for the tenth things started going wrong and he
had several non-completion years...he had the monkey on his back. People
started to kid him about it and it was a hard time, but *finally* he
finished. When he did (geez, wish I had Stagg here to correct my errors)
he gave Maggie Price (who had not completed that year) a hug, and when he
turned loose  he had slipped this "necklace" consisting of a bit of nylon
rope, a safety pin and a plastic gorilla, around her neck with the
"Monkey on *her* back". Maggie and Stagg are the only two time recipients
of "the monkey".  To get rid of the monkey, you have to complete OD. You
can only bestow it on someone who did not complete that year. So after
winning OD in 2004, Stagg didn't complete in 05 and received the monkey.
He didn't do the ride in 06, so for 2 years he had been the not so proud
owner of the "Monkey on the Back". He was so determined to get rid of it
at the pre-ride meeting that I thought he meant to be conservative this
year, but he managed to tie for first *and* get the monkey off his back.

So...enter me. The person who has compete in endurance for 20 years now,
within 9 hours of the OD trail and had resisted all urging to go attempt
it on my own horses.  Finally, someone else (Jody Buttram) offers their
mount up and I figure, "I'll go have a look at it ONCE". Then Stagg
bestows me with their Blessed Monkey of the Long Tradition" that HAS to
come back...and can only come back to them when *I* successfully complete
the trail! UGH! I'm cursed!

Can I just put the weekend behind me? No. I am already trying to figure
out where I can come up with a horse that will finish OD. My horse
Gunner, who attempted his first 100 at Biltmore and was doing wonderfully
until he got a vague mystery lameness after 70 miles of fetlock deep mud
is still "vaguely mysteriously lame" :-((((( I bought a ticket on the
Asgard Arabian...but it will be *years* before I could compete him there
and I turned 47 TODAY! I've always been goal oriented, but I can tell you
right now this monkey's got something special about him that is really
making this thing seem urgent. I HAVE to it back to Virginia...no matter
what. Send all leads on extremely affordable 100 mile horses for sell or
loan to: rides2far@xxxxxxxx!

Angie McGhee
http://www.lightersideofendurance.com