[RC] Spinal Arthritis (Was Ankle Fusion) - Lisa Douglass

Hi Dr. Q,

Thank you very much for your reply on both the human ankle fusion and also
the horse spinal arthritis.  Actually, I found your reply really
interesting, so check's in the mail.  =;)

This mare was diagnosed with spinal arthritis by the vet while he was
checking the various Meridians . . .  He ruled out all weight-bearing joints
using this method.  Of course he also has my feedback on how the horse moves
downhill, which is either very slow swinging her hips, or wants to trot, or
will try and traverse.  If not moving down a moderate or steep downhill, she
moves out like nothing at all is wrong.  I found it interesting that you
stated "Sometimes in chronic conditions, a long term spasticity remains
until more comprehensive treatment measures are taken to alleviate the
underlying cause."  This 18 yo mare has been having issues going downhill
for the last three years or so, getting worse over time.  Initially the vet
diagnosed an "all over type of mild arthritis" and we were doing a series of
Legend shots, but this failed to help this spring.  So anyway, this is
definitely a chronic condition.  She's never had any soreness in the loins
until this year.  (BTW, this is not a saddle fit issue as saddle fits
lovely.)

As far as the acupuncture, the vet is using electrical stimulation on the
four needles he inserts, and the anti-spasmodics are holistic, though the
names of them escapes me at the moment.  Oh, and we're also doing belly
lifts every day, though she'll only respond to this request from the belly,
and not above the hips.

Again, appreciate your response and I now have more questions for the vet!

Lisa Douglass
Moss Rock Endurance
www.mossrockendurance.com
(719)439-2472