Re: [RC] OD meeting - Diane Trefethen

Normanjudyv@xxxxxxx wrote:
*/Considering the Biltmore & the OD are so notoriously hot most years, the possibility of serious consequence to the horse is always there. What vet would want to be the one to pass a horse that,s not doing well... Everytime a horse dies, everyone is screaming PROTECT THE HORSE!!!!!
Well that,s what they trying to do til it gets in the way of your
personal goals then the vets are the bad guys.

No one complaining about this rule here on Ridecamp would be upset if a Head Vet decided, given difficult, ambient conditions, to take some extra precautions to protect the horses. But the rule that is being discussed here has nothing to do with VETTING. The number of times a horse's pulse is taken has nothing to do with his veterinary status. If my horse's pulse is taken 1 minute after I arrive at a VC, again 2 minutes later and a third time 2 minutes after that with all 3 readings decreasing from 72 to 66, those readings hardly suggest that my horse is in trouble and needs to be pulled. On the other hand, if I wait the full half hour before having my horse's pulse taken ONCE and it is still at 70, that would be a cause for concern... not to mention a DQ under rules 2.1.6.2 and L6.2.1.2.

Furthermore, it isn't usually the vets who take pulses for the gate into hold; P&R people do. So it isn't a vet that will decide a horse is DQ'd... a P&R person will. It seems to be the general feeling here that giving a P&R person, whose eyes may be bad or whose watch may run fast or who may be a little less objective (and certainly less under the microscope) than a vet, the ultimate power at a ride, ie, to disqualify someone, without review or recourse, is not reasonable. And if the DQ CAN be protested to a vet, then it is 3 strikes, not 2 and I could just wait till I was SURE my horse was down (or 1/2 hour was up) to protest the DQ to a vet, thus totally negating the effect of the rule.