[RC] OD: Side Topic - John Teeter

A side topic which may be interesting to discuss while todays rides are going on.

It sounds like there were 2 riders that made the official AERC max competition time for the 30 mile ride. By AERC rule (and FEI as well), the max competition time is 7 hours and 12 minutes for a 30 mile event. There is a desire to have that max time increased in the case of this years OD 30 to be 7:57 (by adding 45 min to the max time). The point being that the vets wanted to increase the hold times for the safety of the horses, but didn't want to force people to go faster as a result.

Well, the issue IS that there is no AERC mechanism that I'm aware of (NOR FEI mechanism either) to allow the maximum competition time to be extended.

The hold times can be extended/shortened with enough notice, but the ride-time (which is total time - allHoldTimes) is always bounded by the (MaxCompetitionTime - allHoldTimes) or you are overtime and DQd.

Of course, this would all be fixed if the Max Competition Time were ACTUALLY defined relative to the max RIDE-TIME - i.e. if the hold times added were not calculated inside the max time.

So if I had a max RIDE-TIME for a 30 of say 6:12 (and assume 60 minutes of hold, this would be equivalent speed to the current spec) and wanted to extend the hold times by 20 minutes; I would still have a max ride time of 6:12; but I would have riders on the trail 7:32 rather than the initial 7:12 - i.e. I can extend the hold time w/o forcing ride-times to decrease by a corresponding amount; i.e. without forcing riders to increase their speed to beat the fixed cut- off time.

It's always been an issue for those of us who vie for the turtle awards! (Pam - any thoughts??:)

anyway, I'm sure everyone that rode the trail at the OD30 feels like they finished! I'm wondering if AERC will only allow 2 of them.

jt