Re: [RC] sharing rides was best way to save gas money - Karen Sullivan

Few other things that Paddi missed....added below her post.
----- Original Message -----
From: CTH
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:55 AM
Subject: [RC] sharing rides was best way to save gas money

The fuel is only part of the cost.
wear and tear , clean up, tires, insurance, oil changes ($100 for my diesel)
I am thinking a 2/3 - 1/3 split on fuel is more realistic.
I have paid all the fuel when sharing if they supply the rig.
With fuel costs so high I think 2/3 - 1/3 is fair if there is just 2 people. 3 people ( I have a 3 horse trailer) 1/2 and 1/2 for the extras no fuel for the rig owner.
Just my .10 cents worth (with the price of everything going up my .02 cents worth is now costing .10 lol)

*Paddi brought up some great points; I just spend $1800 for 6 tires, alighment, oil change, filters, etc.....and figured myself lucky.

2/3, 1/3 split, I feel, still may not really cover the true costs AND the hassle.  Unless someone has really hauled a lot, they often just don't get it.....

Here is a statistic a friend just sent me....for every 100 lbs added to your load..you lose
1-2% mileage.....that can add up fast on a 1000 lb. horse.  So...if you are hauling an extra horse for someone, over a long distance...you are really only getting half the fuel costs, even if they pay you 2/3!!!.

So that I don't sound too penny pinching, or money grubbing; let me also point out that I usually am the one who does the hauling (except for a few other friends),....and over the years, I rarely get the passenger ride....boy, if I get offered for somebody to pick me up......haul my horse and all my stuff....and I get to sit and relax while they have the stress and responsibility for driving.; and I save the wear and tear on my rig, ...that sounds like a real treat!!!

The person getting the ride in your rig often thinks that since you are "going anyway";l isn't it generous of them to help with half the gas?????, just not getting everything else. You often deal with either picking them up, waiting for them,  spending a half hour in the hot sun trying to load THEIR horse; who often will kick in your trailer...you make room for THEIR stuff, and have to move it when you get to camp to get to YOUR stuff..and if they send their horse with you and come later,....you are the one who has to tie or corral their beast at camp, lug the water, deal with THEIR horse if you break down on the freeway and have to fix a flat.....take extra time AFTER the trip to drive them home to drop off their horse, etc....deal with their hay in your truck and tack.....not to mention, if they have to leave early for some reason.....YOU have to leave also.....

It's sure nice to have the company and help with fuel....but sure gets old if you consistently eat the costs and it never gets reciprocated.

A friend of mine went to a camping trip a few weeks ago and hauled another gal....told her the fuel woud probably be a "full tank", meaning close to $100.....the rider gave her $100 upfront for fuel. AND bought her lunch....AND some extra food...my friend who hauled was very apprecitive and refunded some gas $.....all around it made for very good feelings....
Karen