Re: [RC] Marathon training - Susan

I've been race walking over a year now and am currently in 1st place in my age division in Green Country, Oklahoma.  I compete mostly against runners but can compete a lot more often than most runners.

My favorite events are trail runs.  They are a lot harder than road races but are excellent conditioning for getting off and running/walking with a horse during endurance rides.  I'm training for the Aquarium Half Marathon June 16, a 50K trail run Sept. 17 (the day after a 50 mile endurance ride), the Route 66 Marathon November 18 and the TX Independence 200-mile Relay Race March 1 & 2, 2008.  I'll race walk everything but my run some on the trails.

The conditioning has helped me tremendously for tailing up hill and jogging down them with my horse.  The Ozarks are hilly and rocky but I had no problem this past weekend.  I'll be happy to share my training schedule with you if you wish.

Best of luck D'Arcy.  You can do it!!!

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, The Princess of Pink
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)