Re: [RC] Response from one of the "rude" riders - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Dear Susan,

This post is so disheartening, to say the least, and, on the same token, it is informative, none-the-less!  As an interested party in the endurance sport,  I have poured over all of the information on Ride Camp, for over a year now.  Coming from a military and political science background the information highway is very important, to me, in order to come from a good decision making process.

As I have been moving forward, ever so slowly, in deciding what ride/s I'd like to participate in.  A primary consideration has been how Ride Management responds to positive and negative commentary about their rides.  The ability for a Ride Manager to stand up under critical analysis and present their argument, either favorable or unfavorable, ranks right up their in the positive column for me.  Not responding at all ranks in the negative column.  Therefore, one might be getting anxious about this thread but know it is ever so important for both sides to be represented with rebuttal.  For this, I am very thankful.

After reading the response from one of the riders in question I had more questions.  Your response answered all of those questions.  My first reaction to the riders response was that there seemed to be an awful lot of knee jerk defensive tactics and maneuvers.  I didn't want to be be quick to rush to a conclusion.  Therefore, thank you, for your response that cleared up all of my questions.

When I am able to be in a position to attend my first ride.  I would like to know that I don't have to worry about rider abuse from anyone!  Whether it is a rider or a member of a rider's crew or a relative or a rider!  There is so much to think about, worry about, and be prepared to address, without these kinds of worries.  If they should occur.  One should have options and recourse.  Otherwise - I just don't see a huge future in the sport!  Especially, with what appears to be so many more families participating in the sport now.   This is important to me, not only as a human being, but I am considering letting my 14 year old, granddaughter, participate in the sport.  She has expressed a desire to ride and is of the opinion that all horse people are fairly decent, kind, and considerate people.  I'd like to keep that veil of innocence alive for as long as possible.  I would not want her to be subjected to the type of abuse that has been portrayed in this thread.

As I have given all of the commentary on this thread a great deal of consideration.  I have also asked myself what can be done to help insure peace and contentment.  I have a suggestion for Ride Management.  I don't know - this may already be in place because I have yet to be in a position to do a ride yet.  If it is possible - why not have a small pamphlet with AERC rules that address rider abuse - specifically.  Along with Ride Management's consequences should the rules not complied with.  The last page could be an acknowledge page where the participant signs that they have read the pamphlet, accept the terms and conditions, and that must be in their package before they are able to participate.  Does it generate more paperwork - yes!  Does it place the responsibility flat in the lap of where it belongs - yes!  There is no question, at that point, rules and consequences.

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson