[RC] [RC] rude riders and ride managers rights - Erica DeVoti

It is reprehensible that a rider would be able to act in this manner (as what happened at the Colfax Coal Rush ride) with the RM not having any recourse to DQ or at least deny placement of the rider.  Please consider:

  • RM need to be able to protect their volunteers, their vets, and themselves with some type of sanction against a rider if the rider is verbally abusive in any way.
  • In many other sports, "unsportsmanlike conduct" has repercussions.  I would ask that AERC seriously consider a way to protect the Ride Manager's in our sport with repercussions for the rider for "unsportsmanlike conduct".
  • If a rider has received a penalty and wishes to protest this penalty, the rider can file the fee and protest.  If the protest happens to have merit, then there should be no repercussion against the RM (of course!).
  • RM's should be able to deny future entries to any rider that has been given an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty at their ride.
  • RM should be able to document incidents such as this (with witnesses) and send it to AERC.  If a rider receives more than one documented incident, AERC should take some kind of action, such as putting the rider on probation, or banning her/him from entering in AERC rides for a period of time.
  •  It is up to our organization to protect our RM's.

Sue, I attended your ride this past weekend and found it to be a great ride, with very well marked trails, plenty of water, incredibly scenic trails and awesome volunteers and vets. It is clear you are an experienced RM, and I am so disgusted by the behavior of this rider at your ride.  If this person acted like this at your ride, I am sure she has done it before at other rides in some way or another.  I admire the way you have handled this incident--with grace, class and tenacity.  And congratulations on riding your ride for the first time!  Woohoo!

Erica DeVoti
Mountain Region