[RC] Handicapped Riders/NATRC - Elinore Tonsor

I stand corrected.  Below is how the NATRC rules currently read.

Page 20 of PDF file, Section IV, Page 5 - Item d.

"Riders who are unable to properly care for their horses, themselves, or to
ride the course without the assistance of others.  (Minor handicaps may be
dealt with at the judge's discretion per Section V D2c).

Section V D2c says:  During the competition, all riders are required to
carefor their own mounts except in the following cases: .../c.  Handicapped
riders needing assistance (permission at the judge's discretion).

A few years ago (maybe 3), I was assisting some UMECRA members in getting the
Paso Fino Association to recognize their UMECRA Competitive rides/miles.  The
Paso Fino Association, at that time, was only accepting competitive
rides/miles from NATRC.  One of the things I had to do was to compare NATRC's
rules with UMECRA's
rules.  And I swear to you, that the above was not the wording that was present
regarding "handicapped" riders.  Although I cannot remember the rule wording
specifically, I know that it said something very similar to "Handicapped riders
are not eligible."

Believe me, at the time I was completing this "study" for the Paso
Fino Association, I pointed this rule out to them, and suggested it was
certainly unfair, and possibly illegal - as this was shortly after the man with
the leg ailment, thus requiring a golf cart, won his case in court and the PGA
was require to allow him to compete in the PGA Tournament.

I am glad NATRC has changed their rules to make their sport more Handicapped
accessable.  However, any restrictions regarding handicaps still ruffle my
feathers a bit - having worked with "other-abled" individuals my entire
career.

ET