Re: [RC] How Did You Find Your Soul [Endurance] Horse ? - Jody Rogers-Buttram

 I have done "all of the above" pretty much.  I do raise most of mine now, but  the first one was found in 1977 at a local redneck horse trader.  I found him, he was wonderful, had to break him, and bring him along to his over 5000 mile career.  BUT, I learned that the bloodline was something that worked, and went back to his breeder for others.  All of which have proven to be good horses.  I have 4 of that line today.

I found one on the internet.   Again, had to break and bring her along.

Recently I have found rescues.  The best horse no doubt that I have EVER owned, is Cash Pony....a 1/2  arab/TWH rescue.  HE found me.  Literally was trailered up into the driveway.  Had no idea this man was coming by my house with an "arab" to get rid of, and since I had Arabs, he thought I might want this one.  He was given the horse from a man in another town that had horses literally starving and dieing on the property.  This little dude is one tough survivor.  Oh, had to break and bring him along too.

But in all of them, I still have the "list" of qualities that I want for basics of a good endurance horse.  So, that did have to meet some standards.

Jody
(headed to OD 100 in one week, taking three ponies, two off that old bloodline, and Cash Pony, who with a little luck with get his 1000 mile medallion in that 100.  With 500 of those miles in one day 100's and 3 of them at the OD trail.)  Not too bad for a $150 horse.