Re: [RC] How did you find your Soul (endurance) horse? - Bruce Weary DC

Interesting questions, Bev. I am something of an "endurance gigolo." I have had great relationships with many different horses, and have had them come into my life under different circumstances. My current mount, Sugar, belonged to another rider whom I met on the trail, and her movement, temperament and the look in her eye caused me to tell the rider to call me if she ever wanted to sell her. She did.
Another horse, Thor, I found living in a plywood, cardboard and chicken wire pen in the Phoenix area. I went to see him in 110 degree heat, and rode around in a crude circle a few times. He tried so hard for me, and it was so damn hot I wanted out of the saddle, for I figured the easiest thing to do was buy him and bring him home. We had a great career and he took me the farthest in my quest for the Tevis buckle. He could have finished, but I got sick and couldn't. He was white, and looks great in the photo of him carrying me up Cougar Rock.
HCC Ruzif, or "Zif," as I called him taught me how to top ten. I first saw him when Louise Riedel was riding him at an endurance ride in Tucson. He was for sale, and she was trying him out. Afterwards, I asked her how she liked him. She said, "I've been doing endurance riding for over 30 years, I have over 10,000 miles, and I have never had a nicer ride." Truer words were never spoken. I bought him and got him to the 2,000 mark before retiring him He was always rateable, gentle, and could out trot most horses. And he was very smooth and easy on my carcass.
I didn't do a vet check, have a checklist or do any real thorough investigation on these horses. I just went with my instincts. I think I get luckier that way. YMMV DrQ