Re: [RC] Horse Identification - Truman Prevatt

It's not just the slaughterhouse that is issue. What the problem was when Andrew hit - maybe Katrina as well - was all the lost horses and no way to track them or no way prove ID of their owner horse from the holding facility. The one thing they learned there was if you just had a picture it would have helped the authorities determine that the horse you said was your was really your.

The chip can help law enforcement make a positive ID if found so it is not "he says she says."

At least in FL they have to get it out of state to go to slaughterhouse. While the Ag stop is a pain in the neck - no horse crosses the Swannee without papers. They don't always come out and check - but they come out enough that going through with the wrong paper work would be a crap shoot. They also check when there is an alert out - like a report of stolen horses. They do have readers.

I don't trust the slaughterhouses either. That one of those laws that are feel good - but no one is there to inforce it.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

Ok, we all know I am the doom and gloom of identification. I just looked
at the website that someone posted for prevention of theft, etc. It was not
something to go looking ALL the way thru (the slaughterhouse part) unless
you REALLY want to know and see what happens in slaughterhouses. I personally
don't believe (and I realize others do, and that's fine) that when it comes to the
stolen a horse making it's way to a slaughter house, that some worker in there is
going to give a rat's butt about a mark on the horse, or checking for a chip. Think
about it, there are tons of horses that are not stolen that go thru those places that
are old, lame, whatever, with brands, chips, marks whatever. Those people are
use to seeing them...and not thinking twice about it.
JMHO.
Jody
( this is why I have 9 horses, ...I can't stand to get rid of one)