Re: [RC] Horse Identification - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ok, we all know I am the doom and gloom of identification.  I just looked
at the website that someone posted for prevention of theft, etc.  It was not
something to go looking ALL  the way thru (the slaughterhouse part) unless
you REALLY want to know and see what happens in slaughterhouses.  I personally
don't believe (and I realize others do, and that's fine) that when it comes to the
stolen a horse making it's way to a slaughter house, that some worker in there is
going to give a rat's butt about a mark on the horse, or checking for a chip.  Think
about it, there are tons of horses that are not stolen that go thru those places that
are old, lame, whatever, with brands, chips, marks whatever.  Those people are
use to seeing them...and not thinking twice about it.

JMHO.

Jody
( this is why I have 9 horses, ...I can't stand to get rid of one)

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think over time as NAIS becomes more accepted that the microchip will
become the standard. I know in FL the ag stops have universal chip
readers and they tell me the dept of Ag law inforcement officers also
carry universal chip readers.

I've looked into freeze branding about 10 years ago and decided to do it
but could not find anyone to return my call. I have to wonder how good
their data base is if no one would answer my call. About the same time
some walked off with a neighbor's horse - freeze brand and all. She
never recovered the horse.

Some things you can do - put tags on your horse's halter and bridle. Put
you cell number on it but nothing else. Carry pictures of your horses
with you when you travel. In FL you can get a card - which is also you
proof of Coggins - from the state which has pictures of your horse.

Truman