RE: [RC] rider weight studies, part 1 - Katrina Mosshammer

My mare is Hungarian/Arab/Shagya, is just a little over 1000 lbs, and is just a smidge over 15.1. She has well rounded ribs. My 4 yo gelding, straight Egyptian, is around 900 lbs, is about 15.1, and is skinny as a bean pole. To give you and idea, when they both stand over the same log if my mare has about 6 inches of clearance he has at least a foot of clearance. Mom rides the geld. and is a Lwt. I ride the mare and am around 240ish w/ tack. A couple of months ago she talked me into switching horses halfway through a 10 mile loop we use to train on. After riding those 5 miles at mostly a walk and just a little trotting I felt like I was going to die. It was like sitting on a sawhorse for 10 hours. I told her she can have the bean poles, I want something that doesn't kill me to sit on. LOL

Katrina

PS I did ride her little mustang/arab on a couple of LD's a few years ago, who is also @ 900, but is under 15 hands and has a nice round barrel, I felt fine while riding him.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of GoldenCMK@xxxxxxx
Sent: May 30, 2007 10:31 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] rider weight studies, part 1

In a message dated 05/30/2007 9:18:34 A.M. Central Standard Time, kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I prefer smaller horses and am at the lower end of the HW division so I always wonder if people are thinking "you need a bigger horse!"
As someone who also loves their smaller Arabs, I understand some people "feel" better riding bigger. I have brought this up before though, if I ride a 14 hand 900 lb Arab and my husband rides a 15 hand 900 lb Arab, which one is better for a heavy weight? I think it is a matter of preference of height. Of course structure and balance are must.

Maria

See what's free at AOL.com.