[RC] rider weight studies, part 1 - Kristen A Fisher - sherman

My gear & I weigh in at 175. that’s 22% of my 14.1H, 800 pound horse. We  did 2 50s this weekend, & Sonny was stronger the 2nd day, not a bit worn out. We didn’t get a completion on day 2, it’ll show up as a lameness pull, but he completed fine, then became lame after getting cleaned up due to a new case of scratches. I’ve read that Arabians and ponies can carry a higher percentage of their weight easier than a larger horse and in my experience it’s held true.

Possibly due to the tough but relatively slow pace of Tevis, the results would not be the same at a faster ride or an easier ride. Was Deb Bennett referring to any specific type of riding, such as jumping or 3 day eventing. Maybe in those disciplines you do need to stay at or below 20% to protect your horse, but certainly not for trail or endurance riding..IMO.

Kathy

I finally had the time to read these posts in detail and have a few questions/speculations.

Would it be fair to say that the parameters below for Tevis could be extrapolated to 50s or even pleasure riding? Eg, if a horse/rider under a combined 1200# can finish a 100 mile ride and be fit top= continue, wouldn't you say that in a 50 mile ride or a pleasure ride, the same would be true? Just because of the lesser exertion on the team.

If that is so, then why do I keep hearing a LOT of people bandy about the 20% rider weight "rule"? Even Deb Bennett recently stated in Equus Mar 2007 that "when the [rider weight] percentage rises to 20 extra care must be taken." She does go on to say that conformation and bone structure also matter - but has IMO nonetheless perpetuated the 20% rule/myth/whatever.

Maybe it's just one of those old "rules of thumb" that people can't let go?

Kristen