[RC] Final Two Foxcatcher Awards - Alissa Norman

A month later...  I am finally announcing the winners of two special awards from the Foxcatcher Endurance Ride (April 28, in Fair Hill, Maryland).

The Hokie Spirit Award was donated by Richard and Mary Cowan (the ride manager's parents).  It was given in honor of the Virginia Tech community who pulled together so gracefully after the tragic shooting there in April.  This award was given to the rider or crew member who most displayed the "Hokie Spirit" and went above and beyond in their actions.  We had many deserving candidates, including many riders who picked up juniors who had lost their sponsors, and riders and crew who helped out first time riders.  The winner, however, was Mike the volunteer Ambulance driver.  Sorry, I have no idea what Mike's last name is!  He came to the ride as crew for his fiance, and stuck his hand up in the air at the Friday ride meeting when I asked if anyone could be my horse ambulance driver.   He ended up bringing two horses home in his truck and trailer.  Thanks, Mike!  Mike was sent a Virginia Tech saddle pad (which his fiance was excited to be able to use...)

The TSB award was donated by Amy Cieri at The Swedish Dala Horse.  This award went to a person who had a rough day, but still ended up going home with a smile on his or her face.  Our nominees included a person who had to replace ALL FOUR truck tires on her trip to Fair Hill, then did not even get to start because her horse was lame on ride morning.  Also a young lady who took an unexpected dip in the river, and a woman who rode back to camp to summon help for her riding partner, whose horse had tied up on trail.  The winner, however, was Lisa Stanton.  Lisa fell off during the ride, hurt herself (she suffered a broken elbow, as she found out several days later), but still completed her 50 mile ride with a smile on her face.  Last time I posted to Ridecamp I listed Lisa as a nominee, and she emailed me to say that her completion award was award enough, and that she had a wonderful time.  True endurance rider spirit!  So, although Lisa feels she does not deserve the TSB award, Amy Cieri feels she is a true testament to endurance, and a deserving winner.  Amy has donated (and I will send soon) an easy boot bag filled with goodies that will be helpful for your next tough day, Lisa.  Hopefully you'll never have to use it!

All nominee stories can be read on our website (http://www.fairhillinternational.com/foxcatcher), and a complete list of winners can be found there as well.

With all this talk of rude riders, I must say - Foxcatcher 2007 is one of the most enjoyable group of riders I have ever managed.  Lovely people, who endured mud on Friday (many had to have their rigs pulled IN to the field) and some mud on the trails on Saturday.  We had a few valid complaints, which were made right to me (the best kind.  I HATE the behind the back remarks).  But all in all a tremendous, friendly, happy group of folks.  I thoroughly enjoyed having them visit our little corner of the world!

Thanks!
Alissa Norman
Foxcatcher Ride Manager