Re: [RC] Sued for Speed - Truman Prevatt

k s swigart wrote:
Around here there ARE speed limits on many of the trails.  They are
mostly put in place to keep the bicycle speeds down, but they apply to
all users.

However, whether there are speed limits or not, we as trail users should
be prudent in the way we approach blind corners (or rises) where we
cannot see what may be coming the other way or may be on the trail ahead
of us.
At a SE ride several years ago there was an incident where riders trotted past trail riders that had gotten off the trail and in the woods to let other riders pass. The first riders passed at a walk and everything was fine. Another group came around the corner, did not see the trail riders on the side of the trail and trotted on past. One of the trail rides was a small boy. His horse spun and took off. The boy came off and broke an arm. The horse hit a tree and fell dead.

The good news was the family had medical insurance and the boys injuries were covered. SERA's insurance paid for the horse. I was somewhat surprised but we have a good policy. I'm not sure the AERC's would have covered the horse.

At any rate it could have been much worse. The boy could have broken a neck or back instead of an arm. We are all responsible for our behavior on the trail. Rides run on public land will have the potential of trail riders on the trails. They have just as much right to be there as we have. We have to be good citizens - or else we might find we are no longer invited back. A public land manager does not have to issue a permit for an endurance ride.
This person was lucky that is was only a horse that died. Imagine the
consequences if it had been a person.
Yep. If a person had died the rider might have been facing criminal charges.
I don't "truck down the trail" when I cannot see the trail to know that
I am not going to run over or run into something.
If I can't seen ahead of me and know the trail is clear, I slow down.

Truman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics