Re: [RC] Sued for Speed - Karen Sullivan

I love this gal Kat!!! Again, voice of reason, all common sense.  We are
running in to this issue
in my area in that a very small group of equestrian women and I have been,
with county blessing, creating, and building quite a few miles of new trail.
We are trying to be "environmentally" correct and stay out of fragile
areas....not make it too steep, and also make big enough switchbacks....both
to create a long-lasting trail and keep riders and other users out of mushy
areas..it really had required seeing this area in the winter too....to see
where the wet spots are.
I personally feel some of the trails going in will be suitable for multi
use....and some should be limited to horses and hikers..

I have also been researching the whole issue of single track, versus multi
use trails...what I have found is that most Bay ARea regional parks, many
county parks and Pt. Reyes national seashore have pretty stringent guidlines
for what constitures multi use trails (which often have posted speed
limits); or singletrack, which are closed to bikes.  For reasons of trail
damage, too high a speed and too many reported accidents.  Criteria are
based on soil composition, sightlines, grade, trail width, etc.

This is a current issue dear to my heart, both becuase of the hard work in
putting in local trails, and not wanting to see them trashed...but also in
that I recently got dumped by an unexpected encounter with a bike on a very
narrow single-track trail at Sly Park.....which I truly believe was not the
bikers fault....not mine, as my horse is okay with bikes....but simply the
fact that it was a bad mix of users on that trail...

That said, I am a firm believer in multi-use trails whenever
possible.....WITH  speed limits.

Also....horses and bikes on trails in dry weather do about the same damage,
from what I have seen.  Put both on muddy trails, and it's a disaster.  Add
in SPEED, such as bike races...and you can REALLY tear up a trail quickly.
Who is going to repair the damage??? I see less and less $ for this.

Just some thoughts....use common sense; don't bomb around blind corners!
Karen