[RC] Why do you want to know? (was: Endurance Reporting) - k s swigart

John Teeter said:

The little experiment with making pod casts
out of bill's cell calls is setting the stage for
anyone with a cell phone calling a (pre-
published) phone number and having that
automatically showing up on the coverage
web site.? I think that will work and should
be a stepping stone towards dynamic
publishing of images (and possibly short video)
as well.

I must confess that this whole thread on endurance reporting has me
somewhat baffled (understatement), as I cannot for the life of me figure
out why up to date progress during the course of a ride is of any
importance to anybody who is not actually at the ride.

I can see how people who are at the ride providing some kind of support
for riders would want to know how things were going and where any such
riders are so they can render assistance if/when needed. But for
somebody half-way across the country or half-way around the world who is
not in a position to actually DO anything with the information, it is
unclear to me what value that there is in knowing such that people at
the ride should inconvenience themselves to provide the information,
which is unlikely to be completely accurate. ("You can have it right, or
you can have it now, but you cannot have it right now.")

So, for those of you who want to know and want to know NOW, can you
please tell me why?

Because, to be totally honest, I simply cannot figure it out.

What makes this information so important that you need to have it
immediately?

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)