[RC] Washoe Valley - Lucy Trumbull

Spent the weekend riding the two-day Washoe Valley ride in NV. We finished both days - which was a first for me and my pone,
and I am chuffed to bits how he looks. If there'd been a third day, he would have wanted to go (*I*, OTOH, am not so sure <g>).

Connie Creech and her crew did a most excellent job, and even though there were tons of horses (over 100 in the 50?), it never felt crowded and we never had to wait for anything. Yay for them!
Excellent vets were Susan McCartney, Kevin Lazarcheff (sp?), Rob Lydon and Marcia Smith.

Although there was a little repeat trail, it was mostly done the opposite way - and frankly, the one section we did the same direction, I had no recollection at all of having done it the previous day <g>

The trail was amazing, so much fun - and perfectly marked. A really nice mix of singletrack, double track, perfect footing, cruddy footing, phenomenally-cruddy-break-your-ankle footing, rocks to climb over, stretches to canter. Short hills up, loonnnggg
hills up, short downs, loooonnnngggg downs, flat bits, undulating
bits - you name it, this ride had it - coupled with amazing views
down Carson Valley, down to Washoe Lake, and over towards
Virginia City. This ride definitely goes on the "must-do" list for anyone who hasn't done it before.

My body did much better doing two days in a row than I'd feared
and I think the variation of trail had a lot to do with that.

I was feeling so proud of me and the pone trotting in on the last loop of the second day - until he spooked really big at a log hiding in the sagebrush in the *last half mile* (after going 100 miles) and
I came off and whacked my head so good I couldn't figure out
why we were coming in from that direction or where my trailer
was. Thank goodness for helmets - even wearing it I got a mild
concussion that took about an hour to wear off (and a spectacular
bruise on my hip <g>).

Day 1 was won by AM Sands of Time, ridden by Tom Johnson,
and the mare also got BC (I'm proud as anything, since she's my
guy's momma).

Day 2 was won by She's a Steele, ridden by Hal Hall - but I'm
not sure who got BC...(sorry, I was a bit befuddled).

The one bad incident was Jane Cloud having her horse trip and
fall on her, necessitating a trip to the emergency room. Apparently
poor Jane broke her clavicle, her scapula, and five ribs in several
places, so she's going to be sore. Again, her helmet was trashed,
so they were very careful about any head/neck injury and took her
in to Reno, but thankfully she didn't have any serious damage in
those areas. Hope you get better soon, Jane!

Long-winded ride story and tons of really cool photos to follow when I get them all sorted out.

elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California