Re: [RC] Endurance Reporting - rides2far

I think webcasting at least for me is something we're kinda figuring out
on the fly. The first time I did it for Endurance.net I did not ride. Big
difference. I also had 3 other family members working the entire time. We
attempted that day to "call the race" in very real time. We even managed
to record their arrival times and compare them to their out times to see
which horses were recovering faster, etc. That was a LOT of work.

  I would, however, like to have seen more information on other
riders and not just the top 10 or those well known in the endurance
world.

We tried to go farther down than top 10 and here's the problem. The
timers simply have the horse's numbers. You go down through there
thinking you see what order they're in and you start reporting it in that
order, then you say, "Wait, I know they're not top 10" and realize that
horse you just reported is on an earlier loop. The farther into the ride
you get, the more overlapped the loops are. You may bother the timer by
lurking over their shoulder writing down numbers only to find out that in
the 10 numbers you recorded 3 are on the latest loop, 6 are on the loop
that was before that and one is on the loop 2 loops behind the winners.
It's impossible to know which are on which without getting your hands on
their card or asking them personally. On a point to point like OD or
Tevis is might be somewhat more possible, but if you hung around long
enough to see the last horses arrive you'd be hopelessly behind the
leaders. It's just the nature of the game that top 10 reporting is about
all we can handle. We did make a point though of recording all pulls so
at least people would know if their rider was still in it.

On the bios, I sent out a request to every entry in the 100 (not just the
well known or fast). If they responded, I put them up. It was pretty time
consuming with only the ones who did respond. If all the entries had
responded I'd have probably been swamped. The bios were my idea and not
part of the original deal with John but I thought it would be
interesting. My personal motive was for people in the 50's to read about
these horses in the 100 and hopefully decide this is something their
horse *could* do. There's lots of things I'd love to do if time was not a
factor, including taking photos of every horse on the place. :-)

What frustrated me most about riding/reporting was that we only saw those
who were in the vet check when we were.  The rain was such a hindrance
and poor Bill was so stretched thin trying to crew *and* keep up with
reporting that it was difficult. When we get down to it, all John has
really asked for is photos, results, and a bit before and after. Anything
we manage to get in *during* the competition is gravy. The cell phone
reception at OD will be *very* spotty at best and there may be no reports
during the ride itself if we can't get a way out, but we're going to try!
:-)  I can remember when to find out who won the ROC we had to wait for
it to come out in Trailblazer or Endurance News 2 months later!  I guess
a few hours isn't the end of the world but we're going to try to beat
that. OD will be an extra day's drive home since we'll probably take
close to the entire 24 hrs. to do it, then have to stay till Mon to drive
home. If I can get a copy of the finishing order of all the distances,
I'll be happy to phone it in to someone with Verizon (so I can talk for
free) if they want to type it all in...or I guess John can put it on an
audio feed again if ya'll want to listen to me read the whole thing. >g<

Angie

Angie McGhee
http://www.lightersideofendurance.com