[RC] Vet Checks - Jay Randle

Hi All

I think I've been a bit lax in not clearly explaining what exactly goes on at a Vet Check here in Australia, and also the times involved during and after the ride. So here goes:

PRE-RIDE
The day before a ride commences, all horses are given a thorough Vet check, the results of which are recorded in the Logbook. At this stage, any horse can be eliminated for Lameness, and I've also seen horses eliminated for sore backs, leg injuries, incorrect shoeing, high temperatures, and a number of other things.

DURING THE RIDE
At the end of each phase of the ride, all horses are required to present to the Vet check on time (at 30 minutes after completion) or be disqualified. The Vet check records all metabolic and clinical exam results, and then the horse is returned to your campsite, where he has another 30 minutes rest time before departing on the next phase of the ride. So there is a total of 1 hour of time off in between each leg of the ride, regardless of what length the total ride is.

AT THE END OF THE RIDE
Upon completion (crossing the finish line), each horse must present to the Vet check on time (at 30 minutes) or be disqualified. Again, all metabolic and clinical exam results are recorded, and then the horse returns to the campsite. No horse is allowed to leave the ride base until 2 hours after they have completed the ride. This is to ensure that if there is any problem requiring additional Veterinary attention, it can be 'caught' and treated in time. (Although I have seen instances of this occurring, it is reasonably rare.)

BEST CONDITIONED
The top 5 completions in each ride division (Heavyweight, Middleweight, Lightweight and Junior) are eligible to present for Best Conditioned Horse. This is generally carried out about 2 hours after the horse has completed the ride, although sometimes it could be a little earlier, and sometimes a little later. All of these horses must pass yet another full Vet check, including all metabolic and clinical examinations, and another trot-up.

Best regards

Jay Randle
SPLENDACREST ENDURANCE TRAINING
www.freewebs.com/splendacrest