FW: [RC] Logbooks - Jim Holland

Rusty, some riders do that already.  I know Angie does (at least saves rider
cards), I do, and I have encouraged all my mentorees to do so as well.
Unless it was going to be used by AERC, I prefer to make my own containing
the level of detail that works for me, but perhaps it would encourage riders
to use one if we had a "standard" one. I keep a three ring binder for each
horse that contains their Coggins, Health Certificate, Vaccination Record,
AERC/AHA numbers, registration papers, etc. It is also a "Journal" of
information on each ride I go to, which not only includes the ride card, but
information on:

1. Travel time to/from the ride with routes and take off spots and times.
2. Weather conditions at the ride. (Temps, humidity, wind, etc.)
3. Trail conditions and terrain. (Rocky, steep, muddy, etc.)
4. An analysis of each leg between checks
  a. Did I meet my "pacing" goals?
  b. Was my horse's recoveries what I expected and "Normal" for him?
  c. Did he eat and drink on the trail?
  d. Did he eat and drink in the vetcheck?
5. Verbal comments to me by the Vet.
6. Electrolytes administered.
7. Water available on the trail and in camp.
7. Trail marking
8. Ride "amenities" or lack of.
9. Vetting procedures.
10. How often we fed him and what.
11. How often we took him for walks before and after the ride.
12. My reflections and those of my crew on what we could do better.
13. My crew's (usually just Joan) opinion of how well I rode my plan.
14. Additional "stuff" we should add to the Vet Bag or trailer.
15. Anything else that might be relevant.

You can see that level of detail in some of the ride posts I have done.  For
example, here is one on the Hallelujah 75 Magic and I did in 2004.

http://www.threecreeksarabians.com/Stuff.htm

Notice that I am only concerned with MY horse on THAT trail on THAT day.
Never knew where I was going to finish until the end. It's the attention to
detail and doing your homework that will keep your horse safe and healthy.
You can track "trends" this way. Obviously, I didn't remember all this
detail.  It came from my journal. I have a history of my horses for every
ride they have ever done. That's the advantage of the Aussie system of
logbooks, the VET has a "history" of that horse that gives him some
justification for what decision he makes in marginal situations based on
that horse and rider's past performance...and so does AERA.

I would wholeheartedly support a MANDATORY logbook. Works for me, since I do
it anyway.

Now here is MY poll....

How many of you would support a MANDATORY AERC LOG BOOK like (or similar) to
that of AERA's?  If "No", then why not?

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm