Re: [RC] 30 minute rule: my take - Joe Long

I believe that I've presented the case opposing this rule change sufficiently, and there is no need to keep repeating it.

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Joe, this has been pretty well gone over, but will just say that the veterinary committee and many very experienced ride veterinarians do NOT think that the current system is "working well" and strongly feel that this change would be an improvement. Over the years, we have not had "hard, documented evidence" on any of the other changes that have greatly improved the sport for our horses, either--not for gates into holds, not for "fit-to-continue," not for lowering pulse criteria below 72. What we had was the input from ride veterinarians who saw horses in trouble from the way we did things. They were right then--and they are most likely right now.
We can decide that what we do is "enough" and quit making progress--but I agree with you that we can still improve our horse death rate. I would add that death is not the only negative outcome of overriding our horses--such horses can continue to live, but be metabolically compromised or suffer from exhaustion-related illnesses. To me, those are not acceptable, either. We need to continually strive to make the best better.
We heard all about the horrible consequences that would result from making other changes that have benefitted the welfare of our horses. Those horrible consequences didn't come to pass then, and I really don't think they will come about if we make this change, either. I am a firm believer in taking possible consequences into account--but the benefits of this one far outweigh the inconveniences.
I know no one will change your mind on this issue, but if there is anyone who has missed this discussion so far, they need to be aware that there is another side to the issue than the one that you have presented.
Heidi

1. This change is unnecessary. The current system has stood the test
of time, and is working very well. I have seen no hard, documented
evidence that shortening the time allowed for the post-ride vet exam
will improve horse welfare or horse safety at all. Pulse recovery is
only one of many factors the vets look at.