[RC] USEF Endurance Strategic Planning Session - Steph Teeter

The United States Equestrian Federation held an open forum strategic
planning session in conjunction with the USEF annual meeting in Louisville,
Kentucky. The meeting was hosted by USEF in response to requests for joint
evaluation of the state of International endurance competition: the USA no
longer dominates the sport at the International level, as measured by a
failure to win individual or team medals during the last four World
Endurance Championships. The meeting was hosted by USEF staff John Long
(Chief Executive Officer), Jim Wolf (Executive Director, Sports Program),
Don Whittle (FEI Affiliates Managing Director),
Vonita Bowers (Endurance Discipline Director), Lynne Mcoy (Director of NGB
FEI services) and Jennifer Brown (Adm. Assist. FEI Affiliates).

In attendance were USEF members including Art Priesz Jr (Chair. of the USEF
Endurance High Performance committee), Julie Bullock DVM (Chair of the USEF
Endurance Active Athletes committee) and representatives from AERC, the USEF
recognized National Discipline Club for the sport of Endurance. Close to 100
interested and concerned members filled the room for this landmark meeting.
This was the first strategic planning session that the USEF has hosted for
the sport of Endurance. It was judged a great success and an important step
in moving the USEF Endurance program forward.

Highlights of the meeting included:

1) Identification of major issues and concerns: A round-table discussion
allowed individuals to discuss and identify key concern topics which
included: the need for improvements in training of athletes; improved
methods of identifying and selecting best performing athletes; lack of
'grass roots' support from the AERC (National Discipline Club) for
International athletes and endeavors; improvements in communication between
USEF staff, officers and membership; the need to form a long range program
to recruit new talent and young riders; the desire of the membership for
greater accountability and transparency of process from USEF staff.

2) Discussion of the organizational structure of USEF: Explanation of
officer, staff and committee responsibilities and hierarchy; explanation of
USEF's relationship with the FEI and the USOC. John Long emphasized that the
most successful disciplines in the USEF (medal winners) were those
disciplines that had a very strong relationship between the USEF and the
National Discipline club. Both Mr. Long and Jim Wolf extended a warm welcome
for the new Endurance Discipline Director, Vonita Bowers, and felt that she
would be instrumental in improving the Endurance program. Jim Wolf made it
clear that the USEF was fully committed to improving the program.

3) Presentation and discussion of USEF's Medication Position by Kent Allen
DVM (previous Eventing team vet): emphasis on welfare of the horse; the need
to stay current in regards to FEI drug testing (procedures, detection levels
and time, prohibited and/or allowed substances); an explanation of FEI
laboratories, with four labs positioned around the world (USA/USEF, Hong
Kong, France, Australia) working towards harmonization, whereby each lab
would follow same testing methodology to produce identical testing results.
Dr. Allen stated that while the incidence of 'positives' in the sport of
Endurance is generally low, the rate of increase is highest among all
disciplines. Jim Wolf emphasized that USEF is fully committed to following
the highest standards when implementing medication rules and policy in FEI
competition.

4) Open session discussion to develop strategic plan for Endurance success
and excellence in the International field: compilation of a vision - what
would it look like if USA competitors were the best in the world? We would
have a program that is rider centered, coach driven and USEF (National
Federation) partnered. We would have a strong industry centered around the
sport (trainers, breeders, sponsorship, etc). We would have a large
community of athletes enthusiastic about aspiring to International level
competition. We would have a large pool of fast sound horses - and they
would remain within our borders. We would have confidence in our leadership.
Our leadership would be focused on the clear mission of striving for
excellence abroad. We would consistently medal in foreign Endurance
championships.

The general tone of the meeting was very positive and productive. A
professional moderator maintained forward motion and assured that every
voice could be heard. The majority of the attendees expressed some level of
previous dissatisfaction with USEF which ranged from lack of transparency in
process and decision making to failure to communicate adequately with the
general membership; to frustration at the lack of guidance or support in the
fundamentals of athletic endeavor. Both the USEF staff and the membership
supported the notion of a fulltime USEF staff person fully dedicated to
identifying, training and supporting the athletes (e.g. coach or national
chef d'equipe). The USEF suggested that they instigate a search committee to
identify chef d'equipe candidates. They also agreed to evaluate the existing
staff/committee/membership relationship and ensure that channels of
communication would improved.

The session closed at 5pm, with a promise to make this an annual affair, and
personal invitation from John Long to continue the discussion in the bar,
he's buying.