FW: [RC] re: Barbaro - Curtis, Laura \(LauraCurtis\)

I am with Cindy, Maya, and others who think it's time to let the poor horse go and end his suffering.  I personally think it is a gift we humans have with regard to animals in our care that we can end their suffering painlessly and quickly.  No one has to be intimately involved in his care to see the horse is suffering and has been since his injury.  Plus, now the owners are in a very awkward position because there is so much public attention and 'get well Barbaro' chanting going on.  And as Maya so elequontly put, it takes courage to do the right thing with an animal we love.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cindy Collins
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 4:39 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] re: Barbaro

For those of you who think Barbaro cares if he's a "symbol for the country," I'm just grateful that I am not an animal in your care.  "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

    Maya Angelou (1928 - )

It takes courage to do the right thing with someone we love.  It is the essence of what makes us human to be able to alleviate the suffering of the animals in our care...to put their best interests in front of our emotional issues.  The greatest thing that Matthew Mackay Smith ever said was, ~ "There are worse things in life for a horse than death."  Every beloved dog I ever had to euthanize, wagged his or her tail in the last moments of their life.  Saying "Barbaro's ears pricked forward and he enjoyed the attention," just makes it all the more appalling. A horse's essence is movement...

I know that this is off-topic and very emotional, so I promise to drop it.  If someone wants to follow the suffering of this animal, they can do it on their own time, but don't expect all of us to cheer.

Cindy Collins