[RC] Q2. Electrolyte use - Jay Randle

Hi All

This is my answer to Question Number 2:

The use of electrolytes is very widespread in Australian endurance competition. There are many different brands of e-lytes uses, however the most common would have to be EnduraMax. Some people use (to me) extreme amounts of electrolytes, and most seem to use about 40-60 grams per dose, prior to departure on each leg of the ride. Some also e-lyte during each leg of the ride, carrying pre-mixed syringes for the purpose.

Now, although our competition season is generally throughout the winter, many of our rides can still be quite hot and dry. (I think they're calling it "global warming"!) Our leading endurance Veterinarians in the sport heavily endorse e-lyte useage, and there have been many papers written on the topic!

Personally, I vary e-lyte useage depending upon the individual horse. I probably am on the "lower end" of useage amounts, as I don't tend to dose prior to each leg, just at the beginning. However, this changes depending upon the weather on the day! I'm sure that the other Aussies on this list could give you their own dosing rates for e-lytes.

During regular training, however, I do add a small amount of e-lytes (as well as salt, magnesium and a mineral mix) to every feed. This is because of the area in which I live, the amount of work the horses do in training, and the type of natural pasture we have here. However it is probably because I am dosing the horses every day in training, that I don't tend to dose them heavily at rides.

I have certainly had horses here that have had a bad reaction to e-lytes, and who have performed better with no e-lytes at all. I do believe that e-lytes are a major causal factor in the development of ulcers in otherwise healthy horses, but I also believe that by introducing (slowly) a regular dosage of e-lytes, many of my horses have not developed any side effects.

Just my opinion......

Any questions??

Best regards

Jay Randle