[RC] Q3. Logbooks - Jay Randle

Hi All

Question Three: Logbooks

In Australia, every horse has a permanent logbook. This logbook is mandatory for any horse entered in an 80km (or longer) ride.

Horses can enter 40km training rides on a card only, but I have always found that these cards are easily lost, easily crumpled, and extremely easy to get wet/torn/damaged, etc. A logbook is much easier to manage!

BUT... we don't carry our logbooks with us! The logbook is taken to pre-ride vetting, where the details are filled out, and then it goes to the Secretary's Box. Upon the horse completing each leg of the ride, and then presenting to the Vetting area at the 30 minute mark, the logbook is given to the rider by the Steward at the Vetting area. The rider holds the logbook for as long as it takes the Vet to complete the clinical examination, and then the Vet completes the details in the logbook, whereupon it is then *magically* transported back to the Secretary's Box. (This is a job usually handled by "runners"..... in the main, young kids who are roped into using their energy for the good of mankind).

So, we end up with logbooks that are usually clean, neat, and tidily completed. Many riders have clear plastic covers on them, some have tooled leather covers, but mine are just covered with clear contact paper, which really does protect them. Additionally, I then cover individual pages with clear contact paper, making them a really secure document.

The advantage of having a logbook is that your horse has a permanent record all in one place. One of the disadvantages is that any Vet can flip back through previous pages of your logbook and some of them can actually develop an unfair opinion of your horse as a result. For example, a horse that was eliminated at a ride due to a lameness problem, could then be unfairly "picked upon" by a Vet who sees that previous entry and decides that the horse is still lame in the same leg... even though it is patently obvious that it is NOT!!

But over all, I believe that a logbook is an advantage to have. I would hate to have to organise and maintain a record of a bunch of ride cards.

Any questions?

Best regards

Jay Randle
SPLENDACREST ENDURANCE TRAINING
www.freewebs.com/splendacrest

Advertisement: Getting married? Tell us why to WIN @ LetsShop http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eletsshop%2Ecom%2FCompetitions%2FLetsMarry%2Ftabid%2F549%2FDefault%2Easpx&_t=751480117&_r=HM_tagline_letsshop_wedding&_m=EXT