Re: [RC] Q2. Electrolyte use - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

During regular training, however, I do add a small amount of e-
lytes (as well as salt, magnesium and a mineral mix) to every feed.
This is because of the area in which I live, the amount of work the
horses do in training, and the type of natural pasture we have here.
However it is probably because I am dosing the horses every day in
training, that I don't tend to dose them heavily at rides.

My understanding was that this would be the worst thing you could do.
From what I've read the thing to do was not give them at home since
you wanted the horse's body to be good at utilizing them frugally,
then in competition give a little extra to a horse whose body had
been trained to make the most of what it got. I never give them at
home, do give them in comptition. The only REAL noticable change I
ever had with or without was that I used the wrong kind of
electrolytes at one ride (the kind meant for a foal with scours or
whatever) and my horse got thumps. Other than that, any improvement
or lack of improvement was hard enough to quantify with all the other
variables that it was one of those "I *think* he does better"
situations.

I have cut back on electrolytes since I'm not racing up front right
now and I finally got a good source of alfalfa which they really go
for at the checks.  I'll be playing it by ear and reading what's
written to decide what to do as we speed up.

Angie