RE: [RC] RC.RC:Thanks ,Leonard - heidi

      The French position with respect to EL, one can suspect is just not
based on 'pure scientific fact ' because hard science here is rathered
blurred by other subjective parameters such as performance ,terrains
,weather etc etc compounded further by the fact that electrolyte imbalance
as determined by the simple measurement of plasma or serum electrolyte do
not correlate well with the quantum of total electrolyte loss .If this be so
I am sure the Americans would have been in the forefront of" non usage of
EL" as they are a more scientific based people than you Europeans .I hope I
am not igniting a 'transatlantic war' with this statement Leonard !I mean
you try reading Susan Garlinghouse 's prolific endurance.net debate with the
late T.i Ivers in the archives on conditioning ,nutrition etc etc you can go
bonkers.They discuss molecules and pathways while the likes of you and me we
are still at subjective performance !

Nik, some of us Americans ARE "at the forefront" of non or minimal use of
electrolytes.  And it is partly because we HAVE looked at those molecules and
pathways until we have gone bonkers, and have decided that it isn't as simple
as just shoving more down their gullets.  E-lytes can have a real downside, can
be easily over-administered, and in most cases are not necessary if the horse
is eating well.  In some extreme circumstances, small amounts may be necessary
for some horses.  But too many people shove e-lytes down in lieu of doing their
homework, and then wonder why they still have problems.  Sounds to me like the
French have learned to do their homework instead.

Heidi