RE: [RC] Non Arab Pulse downs - Alison Farrin

Interesting insight from one of my dressage lists - consensus over there
was that TB's get in shape fastest and warmbloods next and then some
Friesian and Andulusians seemed to be the slowest to get in shape.  ( No
arabs actively competing on that list <G>, but I would put them n line
in front of the TB's!) Once IN SHAPE, all were capable of the same work.
They also went out of shape in the same order.

So, the indication is that it takes LONGER to get a non-arab to maximal
cardiac fitness. There is good and bad to this.  One of the risks of
getting a young horse fit in cardiac mode, is that you are nowhere close
to having all the rest of the systems at the same fitness level.  So,
those riding non-arabs may actually be at an advantage.  The longer
conditioning time necessary for cardiac fitness leaves them less
vulnerable to other system injury, as those systems are developing
fitness at approximately the same rate as the cardio system.

This supports Pam's contention that its perfectly possible for non-Arabs
to reach 60 timely.

Alison A. Farrin