From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of appleg8
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 9:41 AM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Non Arab Pulse downs

I have been following this thread and I have a question or three.

I hope someone will give an intelligent answer  as I am truly perplexed over

this. Why is it that non Arab riders constantly complain about the 60
criteria being in favor of Arabians and hurting the non Arab horses?

At a California ride last season an Appy rider was really complaining at the

RM about this very thing. The 60 criteria was not fair to non Arab
competitors. I sat quietly seething over this as I have never ridden an Arab

in AERC competition.

I have worked very hard to prove that Gaited Horses can compete in this
sport against the Arabs and compete quite well with the current rules in
place. I have never griped about any of the criteria or wanted things
changed because I ride a gaited horse. My boys are galoots to boot. 16hh,
1050+lbs, although I like to keep their weight down at 1050-1035 during race

season, this is still bigger than most Arabs we compete against.

When we go to a ride, I usually get a kick at the people that don't know me
as they shake their heads and think we won't be in until midnight because 1.

I am on a gaited horse. 2. I am on a bruiser of a horse. Aren't they
surprised when we get in at a very decent time. Sometimes even top ten. Not
always, but when my horse is capable of it we do.

So here is my question. Why can't a non Arab horse pulse down to 60 or even
56 like any other well conditioned horse in AERC?  I mean I seem to be
missing something here. To me, it all comes down to first purchasing the
correct body type of the horse whether it is an Arab or non Arab, and then
training this horse like our Arab counterparts do. Diligently, religiously,
keeping that horse fit before competition and during competition.

I have ridden three of my Gaited wonders in AERC, all of them as newbies in
the sport. I have never had any problems with them pulsing down and usually
they are down when we enter the VC or within five minutes(the new ones).

To me, if one wants to enter this sport on any horse then the rules are in
place and that is what you abide by. No excuses for breed or size.  The day
I have to make up excuses for riding a gaited horse in AERC is the day I
should pack it up and go to something else.

So what is the problem? What am I missing here? Why is there excuses for non

Arabs? I have no opinion one way or the other on the 30minutes vs the 60
minutes. My horse will pulse down no matter what because I will have him
conditioned correctly. I never wait the 60 minutes anyway. We get it done
then go have a beer. I wish my horse could learn to drink a Corona with me
so I had a partner to enjoy the after glow with is my only complaint.
amber
g8nfool
www.applegaitnendurancehorses.com