RE: [RC] 30 minutes - heidi

Heidi, I can only answer from my own experience.  One, I don't think AERC "has information" about this--rides do not submit to AERC the times that it takes horses to recover.  But yes, vets DO see such horses from time to time--they are not all that common, but they are out there, and are a cause for concern.  As for them requiring treatment, I've already addressed that question--they don't necessarily require treatment, but the need for treatment is hardly a "gold standard" on which to base whether or not there is damage done from the overriding.  I don't know of any stats about horses with slower recovery requiring treatment, but my observational impression is that yes, they do.  Nonetheless, I'm more concerned about the overridden horse simply going home and being slow to get over the wear and tear of the ride.  With my own horses, when I have had ones slow to recover, they are not as bright and chipper coming off the trailer the next day at home--and that is a HUGE red flag.

As for this having anything to do with FEI--at least for me, the answer is a resounding NO.  It is 100% a horse welfare issue.  The only point where FEI even enters the discussion is as an example that horses ridden to the razor's edge at FEI events are expected to meet pulse criteria within 30 minutes--so the argument that racing precludes a 30-minute recovery doesn't wash.

Certainly there are factors besides a hanging pulse that can indicate that the horse has been overridden.  Does that mean that we should not address hanging pulses with a shorter recovery time, to protect at least that segment of overridden horses (or horses that are otherwise distressed post-ride) whose pulses do not come down?

We are fooling ourselves if we label horses who cannot recover to a pulse criterion in an expeditious manner as being "fit to continue."

Heidi

Are we seeing this rule as a result of information that AERC has?  Are vets seeing horses not pulsing down within 1 hour?  Is there currently a rise in the number of horses this is happening to?  Are the horses being DQ'd after not pulsing in in 60 min. requiring treatment?  Are horses that take 25-30 min. to recover being treated more?  Is this rule change to better follow FEI?  Seems RC heats up during FEI rides, talking about completion and pulls.  Do FEI rides vs. AERC rides showing that one has a better completion rate?  For example, do FEI rides with their 30 min. rule show a higher completion, lower treatment rate?  I've heard a few people talking about how horses that come in with a low pulse (under 60) can still go home and be off feed, not be right or colic within 48 hours.  How will the 30 min. vs. 60 min. rule help these horses, or will it?  So many questions..............
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=