From: Barbara McCrary [mailto:bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 4:45 PM
To: Mary Ann Spencer; Rae; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Mare's gestation period

When our mare was late foaling, I happened to be talking to a friend that afternoon and she said she took her mare for a long walk in hand.  That precipitated the foaling the very day.  I led our mare outside of her foaling pen and took her about 75 yards up a steep hill.  She stopped, lay down, rolled (uphill!!!), got up and started eating frantically.  In a few minutes, she dragged me down the hill, took herself into her foaling pen, and stood there, looking very suspicious.  I thought, "Hmmmmm....something's happening."  I dashed into the house, put dinner on the table and we ate.  After that, I went outside to check the mare and she was still looking suspicious.  I came back into the house to load the dishwasher, maybe 15 minutes at most, went back outside and it was all over.  I saw a wet foal on the shavings, just hatched.  I went in the pen, cleaned the placenta off her face, breathed into her nose so she could smell a human, and went away to leave mother and baby to become acquainted.

I recommend some exercise...a walk in hand.  Our friend had led her mare 2 miles, she said, but our mare took only about 150 yards to precipitate some action.

Barbara